Wednesday, January 18, 2012

EGGS, PORK AND CSA: Mike Foley on Timber Trail Rd in Shafstbury & Clearbrook Farm

Last week my neighbor called me and invited me to go with him to pick up his last CSA for the winter and his eggs for the week.

Our first stop was Clearbrook farm to pick up the CSA. Clearbrook was my favorite place to food shop in the summer and fall. My sister would drive out to pick up local veggies, cheese and the most delicious chocolate milk on earth!

I should have signed up for the winter CSA but wasn't sure of my schedule. Anyway, we loaded up on delicious winter veggies and I bought local organic maple beef sausage from Burley Farm (I will do a sperate blog for that farm).

After picking up the CSA share we headed down to Timber Trail Road where Mike Foley lives. He moved to VT from NYC after 9/11 and restored an old house and started farming. We picked up 3 dozen eggs and chatted for a bit.

Mike sells his eggs to Henry's Market in Bennington and the Shafstbury Country Store. Mike feeds his chickens organic scraps from Shaws market in Manchester. He makes a trip to Manchester everyday to pick up the extra food. He also has his children's classes at Shaftsbury Elementary scraping food scraps for the pigs.

If you want to buy eggs from Mike directly, you can call him at 375-2889. Tell him the girl writing the food blog sent you. He is also currently raising pigs if you are interested in some pork this year. I am going to share one with a couple people. I have already named it Yiddle (yiddish for little jew).  Mike raises the pig and then hires a butcher to, well, butcher it. The pigs are happy pigs raised above his house and fed local food scraps!

Happy eggs and piglets :)

2 comments: