Tuesday, August 14, 2012

We can fall in love in the August heat! "TRUE LOVE FARM"

♥ 

Almost directly above my house sits a small patch of heaven named "True Love Farm". 

The farm is located at 925 Cross Hill Rd and owned and operated by Karen and Steven Trubitt. 
 

I actually run by the farm on my 9 mile loop around the block, however, didn't realize it because, like many small farms in VT they are hidden in the wild lands and don't have a sign.

Karen had reached out to me a few months ago because she heard about my interest in connecting the community to local farms.

We had been e-mailing back and forth and finally met up this week. I helped a tiny, tiny bit by picking some green beans, but mostly enjoyed a wonderfully enthusiastic and immensely kind tour of the grounds. I think I may have fallen in love 3 or 4 times during my visit. 

Karen and Steven moved here from Minneapolis 10 years ago, they found the land with no initial plans of farming but since have completely restored the barn as their house and built the most romantic farm I have visited yet.

The farm is filled with chick for meat, chickens for eggs, a rooster, beans, ginger, melon, flowers that take your breath away, a very large selection of gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, including Italian pears, indigo, green zebras and many, many more as well as basil, kale, potatoes, blueberries and the list goes on and on...

They aren't "certified organic" but are far beyond/better than organic in my book. They don't use any pesticides and use as little organic spray as humanly possible. They even have a moving chick trailer that allows the chicks to fertilize the ground for the following year.

True Love Farm is at the Walloomsac Farmers Market Saturday's (10-1) and Tuesdays (3-6). They also sell to Allegro's (my favorite restaurant in bennington)as well as Gringo Jack's in Manchester. You can keep up with them on facebook.

The farm is a true treasure! I hope you will stop by the farmers market on Saturday's or Tuesday's to say hello to Karen & Steve. You will certainly taste the love in the food! 

XXX 

No comments:

Post a Comment